Thursday, November 6, 2014

Traveling on a Student Budget

The first time I went to Europe I was a junior in high school and my french class went to France for ten days.  That trip gave me the travel bug, and from then on I have taken every opportunity available to me to travel as much as I can.

This year studying abroad in Ireland has allowed me a wonderful opportunity to explore Europe more. However, while travel from one European country to another is less expensive than if I were coming from the United States, I still have a budget to maintain.  I was lucky that I knew this is something that I wanted, so I have been saving up for years, however there is so much that I want to do if I want to get to most of it, I have to ensure my dollars (turned into euros) are going as far as they possibly can.

The two most expensive parts of any trip are the flight and accommodation.  If you are able to get good deals on these two components it is very possible to travel for less. However, these good prices come at a cost.

Part 1: The Flight

RyanAir is an airline that's business model is to provide inexpensive travel for people around Europe.  It is not only possible, but entirely probable to find flights for under $100 (sometimes even under $50 if you are going somewhere close).  I have used RyanAir for both my trips to Belgium and the Czech Republic.

But, there is a huge catch.  The reason these flights are so inexpensive is because there is absolutely no luxury attached to any part of the travel process.  To begin with the flight times are extremely early or late; inconvenient times of day.  In order to fit as many people onto one flight as possible they have created a plane that is very cramped; little leg room and small seats.

The way I believe they are still in business is from all of their hidden fees. The flight itself is inexpensive, but it comes with absolutely nothing else other than the actual seat.  If you want a drink on the flight (even water) that is an additional cost, if you want to choose which seat you are in that is an additional cost, even if you want them to print your boarding pass that is also an additional cost.

And the way they truly get you is with your luggage.  They have strict requirements for their bag size, slightly bigger than a Northface backpack, and that is all you are allowed, not even a small purse for women.  Anything over and you get hit with huge charges. This is why packing is so hard, everything you require for four days has to fit in that bag, with room to spare for souvenirs you collect on your way.

Part 2: Accommodation

The second means of price-saving is the accommodation during your stay.  Just as the flight offers no extra luxury, for a low cost you can stay in hostels and they give you the bare minimum of housing; a bed.

While every hostel is different, their purpose is all the same, to offer an inexpensive option for the night.  You can choose rooms that start at two people private rooms and ones that continue to go down in price ending with twenty bed rooms, that you would share with strangers.  There are communal bathrooms at the end of the hall just like college dorms.

With the exception of the bed and bedding, the hostel comes with nothing else. You are expected to bring your own towel, toiletries and a lock to keep your things safe while you are not in the room during the day. This was not necessary for Prague because Caitlin and I decided to get a private room for just the two of us.

Hostel Elf where Caitlin and I stayed in Prague was the epitome of traveling on a student budget. It was located far from the city center, covered in weird decorations, and filled with an interesting (and loud) array of people.  But, I thought it was perfect.  Since being at the hostel is not fun, it forces you to stay out in the city all day and really experience all that Prague has to offer, instead of inside your hotel room. And this particular hostel was so interesting it is a great story that Caitlin and I laugh about, and will never forget.


While I do love the way my family travels for vacations, with nice hotels and spacious transportation, I actually like traveling the way I do.  RyanAir flights and hostels allow me to see and do all that I want to; if these options were not available I would not be able to do half of all that I hope to this year. I am young enough that my body can endure two buses, a cramped plane and lots of walking, all at three in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment