Sunday, March 15, 2015

4 Countries, 1 Week

In the span of one week, from Friday, February 27th to Sunday, March 8th I was in 4 countries.  This is one of those things that is just SO cool to say that I have done!
  • The first weekend I was in Copenhagen, Denmark and Malmo, Sweden.
  • During the week I was in Cork, Ireland.
  • The next weekend I was in Interlaken, Switzerland. 
What is particularly interesting about these few trips is that every one of these countries has a different currency.  I am extremely lucky to use the Euro, as does most of mainland Europe, but there are a few exceptions and it just so happened that my two weekend trips were two of those exceptions. 

Denmark and Sweden are Scandinavian countries and they both are on their own version of the kroner.  There is both a Danish kroner, and a Swedish kroner; very confusing.  I was lucky enough to take out exactly the right amount of cash when I went to Copenhagen so I spent my last kroner right before heading back to the airport.

Danish Kroner

1 Dollar
=
1.05 Euro
=
7.46 Kroner

The next weekend was Switzerland which is on the Swiss Franc. We were extremely lucky with the Swiss Franc because the Franc is at a 12 year low against both the Euro and the Dollar, meaning we got a lot more bang for our buck! I was very unsure of how much money I would need for the weekend so I took out a little too much currency at the airport, and came home with remaining Francs that I had to convert back at my local Bank of Ireland. 

Swiss Franc

1 Dollar
=
1.05 Euro
=
1.06 Swiss Franc

At first I was very excited to see that the value of the euro had dropped to such a low value against the dollar, until I realized that it actually in fact was not good for me.  Since all of my money is already in euros, I will lose money when I exchange it back home.  After hearing this my mom and dad told me to just spend all of the money in my bank account over here, well you definitely do not have to tell me that twice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment