Saturday, November 29, 2014

Friendsgiving

Last night was Friendsgiving! Caitlin, Grace, Nicole, Nicole's two friends visiting from London, and I arranged to have a holiday dinner and split up the tasks between the four of us. It was so nice having the family feel on actual Thanksgiving Day, but it was also a lot of fun to have the holiday food and festive feel last night. It was a fun night eating great food, and hanging out with great friends.

We all met up in Caitlin's apartment and she did a wonderful job decorating.  She had flowers, a tablecloth and place settings for each of us.



My contribution was mashed potatoes, both sweet and regular, a green salad, and an attempt at Grandma's apple crisp recipe with vanilla ice cream.


Appetizers

 The smorgasbord 

My dinner plate

Dessert, most important part! The apple crisp was just okay, not great but it was great to have the apple/cinnamon flavors that we expect at this time of the year. 


Before leaving for Ireland I was really worried that I would be extremely sad during the holiday season when my family was all home and I was missing it.  However, it has been a lot of fun doing something new. Instead of thinking about what I am missing, which is only one Thanksgiving out of hundreds I hope to have in my lifetime,  I chose to focus on all that I am gaining by being away this year.  

I am so fortunate to have this experience, and I am so thankful for it, but also that I only have to miss two major holidays this year, Thanksgiving and Easter, and not three, Christmas.  The end of Thanksgiving means the start of the Christmas season, which means Michael Buble's Christmas album on repeat, AND my arrival back in the United States! 

No comments:

Post a Comment