Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Belgium Day 1: Brussels Part 2

After a quick afternoon nap, I woke up a whole new person.  I was refreshed, and ready to go see more of the city.  We decided to head in a different direction than the main plaza to Sablon, the shopping district.
Walk to Sablon






In Sablon we stopped again for more chocolate. Pierre Marcolini had a beautiful window display and we could not resist their hot chocolate and macaroons.  I have to say after this weekend I am a HUGE fan of macarons, and this place had the best ones of the many that I ate during the trip.

Macarons even look beautiful


 I choose a salted caramel, and a molten gold which has a mix of ganache and caramel for the filling


More of the city, it was slightly drizzling but that was the worst the weather ever got all weekend



For dinner we went to Cafe Leffe, which was a fun spot in the middle of Sablon. For dinner I got the Flemish stew at the request of my roommate Seton, who went to Belgium this past summer and recommended that I try it.  I was smart to listen to her, it was delicious!

An interesting fact about Belgium is that restaurants refuse to give you tap water. The only option all weekend was to buy bottled water.
My dinner


By the time we had finished dinner, it had gotten quite late. We walked back to the Grand Place to see it all lit up at night, and if it is possible, it was even more beautiful than during the day.



Afterwards, based on another tip from Seton, we headed to Delirium bar. There is a small alleyway that holds a handful of bars all owned by Delirium and it is a very popular spot. We went to the main bar because it holds a Guinness World Record for having one of the largest selections of beers, from Belgium and all over the world.


Inside Delerium the ceiling is covered in bottle caps of all the different beers they have 


I tried the Delirium beer, it was pretty good


After enjoying our drinks, we headed back to the hotel to get a good nights sleep for the next day. Overall, a great start to our time in Belgium.

No comments:

Post a Comment